Adult Learn to Sail
Titahi Bay Boating Club offers learn to sail courses to new and existing members aged 16 and over.
Sailing is a skill for life. Many of our sailors have sailed the globe, have participated in competitive racing at national or international levels, or just enjoy the chance to get out on the water with their family.
Please note that at this time our Adult Learn-to-Sail course is only available to members of the club, as our volunteer time is valuable and not fully compensated. It is the preference of our volunteers, based on their availability, to invest their time in members who demonstrate an interest in sailing at the club.
What we teach:
- Safety on the water
- Knowing your boat - How to rig and unrig your boat.
- Capsizing (flipping) and righting your boat
- Reading the wind
- Launching and retrieving a boat
- Points of Sail
- Tacking and Gybing
- Rules of the water
- Knots commonly used in sailing
By the end of the course, you will have gained sufficient skills to either helm (steer) or crew a two-person dinghy. We don't consider a course the be-all and end-all of sailing, and you'll recieve ample opportunity to continue to develop your skills.
The course fee is $200 per-person.
- Sessions are comprised of theory (classroom) and practical (using boats - often on water) components.
- Some home study (usually watching videos) is required.
- Approximately 6 to 8 sessions will be required for most students.
- Courses are run on a Saturday afternoon (weather permitting).
- One-on-one or one-on-two sessions with a coach can be organised as needed. Please enquire.
What you need to bring:
- Confidence in and around deep water. You can learn this at your local swimming pool. Falling into the water is part of the course, so you'll need to demonstrate an ability to float calmly and swim short distances.
- Clothing to keep you warm when you're wet. We'll discuss this as part of your first session.
- Sun protection during sunnier months.
What we will provide:
- Yachting New Zealand qualified Learn-to-Sail coaches
- Sailing dinghies. We use Sunburst dinghies, which are well suited to the variable conditions in Porirua.
- Support boats and qualified coaches.